Thursday, July 17, 2014

Inspired by Inspiration

While making my monthly foray into my Facebook account, I happened to throw some likes on some gaming companies. I think it started with following Project:Morningstar page.

Anyways, I stumbled across this little sneak peek at Inspiration.

My first thought was 'wow, that background and bonds and stuff has real impact on the game'. Neat!

Then I noted the lack of the actual details. I mean, it states that you can expend your Inspiration to modify an attack roll or save etc... But, in terms of the mechanics, there's nothing. Is it a 1d6 bonus? A simple +2?

And it's not like WoTC redacted the mechanics to keep us in the dark (those teasing imps!). That's a snippet of the Player's Handbook, and it looks like it is all neatly lined up and stuff.

Anyways, I think it's a very cool concept, and as one of the Facebook commenters pointed out, it really reinforces that the game involves role-playing. If I can get a play-at-any-time bonus to something for doing something that's fun anyways, that's great. If it encourages others to put down their phone (you know who you are) and play it up a bit, that's also good.

I'm not sure about being able to transfer Inspiration from one character to another. I suppose one could cheer the fighter on to swing a little harder or the wizard to, uhm... cast better? But how do you inspire someone to sneak better?

Plus, the whole rah-rah sharing of Inspiration is a little too Bardy. And Bards suck.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Spending inspiration gives you Advantage, which is the mechanic that lets you roll two D20 and pick the better one.

Crwth said...

Thanks Brian; I haven't let Griff and the rest of the players near the module content, which is the closest thing we have to a DM's Guide, where he could have read that.

Unknown said...

Crwth, do you have the starter set? And if so, it defines advantage and disadvantage in the rules section that is for players. The "Starter Set Rulebook", also, there's the Basic Rules online where one can find it too.

Crwth said...

Hi Rusty,

Yes, I've got the Starter Set. We're all clear on the advantage/disadvantage, it was the Inspiration that was the unknown.